Monday 15 April 2013

A Little History...

Hi again,

Our date nights started when in a very short space of time, I lost a great friend to obesity, another friend is passing away from cancer and my father found out he had cancer as well.   PJ already had lost both parents to cancer.  It stopped us in our tracks. Were we taking our lives and relationship for granted?

We met 6 years ago, online.  My friend signed me up on a dating site and conveniently neglected to let me know. PJ signed up to play a joke on a friend and this site ended up matching us up.  As you can imagine, my friend Mary had to tell me that this amazing guy had emailed me and wanted to chat.  I was SO embarrassed but once we got talking, it was as though we had always known each other.  A year later we were married and we've been married for 4 years.

We both work full time and PJ is completing his Masters and I'm completing my diploma so life is busy.  We go out for dinner and walks but it's always the same places and life has started to be, well, consistent. We can't go away as we have a special needs dog.. more on him later.

It was my parents (who have been married for 54 years) that gave us a gift at Christmas....a date.  They felt we should be spending time together, quality time.  So, we took it a step further...

Here's the details:
  • I organize one month, and PJ the next. 
  • It's a secret for awhile, the other person can ask questions and guess.  We have to say when/if they guess correctly. 
  • If the other person doesn't guess, then we can tell them a few days or hours before the event.  We realized anticipation is a necessary part of the fun.
  • We cannot repeat an activity or experience.
  • We cannot go to the same restaurant, we have to try new ones.
So far we have
  • January - shooting at a gun range (me)
  • February - a night time owl prowl (PJ)
  • March - glass blowing lessons (me)
  • April - night at the theatre on Manet's art and then private painting lessons (PJ)
  • May -me...stay tuned for hints and guesses

I am attaching a BBC 2 minute video that I just watched.  It is truly the essence of our date nights.  It's a wonderful world that we live in, and when we share it with someone we love we get outside of the everyday issue and problems, work and school and connect with each other.  I hope you enjoy it.
www.youtube.com/embed/auSo1MyWf8g?rel=0

No comments:

Post a Comment